Thursday, October 1, 2015

Mumblegore and the new weird!

Mumblegore is what I focused on the most this week, and the development of the independent horror film. The film that got me interested in the independent scene was Human Centipede. This film was all about a Nazi doctor who takes random people and sows them together but mouth and anus. The whole movie is basically how much pain these people are in and the doctor getting off to the fact that he successfully created a creature that could function as one, well for at least a little bit. If there is one thing from this movement that is awesome is that the human imagination and the pure insanity of people that want to see these films, including me is being pushed to new limits.  Human Centipede was probably the most talked about movie when it came out, because of the pure insanity of it. It was so different than anything coming out at the time. Most of the films don’t have much to them other than how inexpensive they are, and it has basic video editing and a wild topic to make it interesting. I think the idea of something being really strange attracts me and I want to know what is going to happen.

Rubber is another film that is stands out to me; the movie is basically about a tire that murders people. I personally can’t even fathom this movie topic, it sounds so stupid, but I seem to keep watching these films. I think these films are very attractive, because you can seem them without and prior bias and just enjoy them. They aren’t serious and they are very playful and push boundaries that most films won’t touch. I think how far Human Centipede goes is what attracted me to watch it in the first place.


Horror seems to be in a weird spot all because of this independent movement that it is experiencing. I think horror will get back to its roots soon; gothic horror to me is the scariest part of horror history. It feels the realist and most believable which scares most people. The realism of a scene is super uncomfortable and something most people aren’t ok with. I know lots of people that will go to horror films, because they know they aren’t possible, but with this rise of virtual reality I think we will want to get back to realism. Nothing would be scarier than virtual reality in a gothic film, like Alien.

No comments:

Post a Comment