Monday, November 9, 2015

Bloodchild

1. There are some prominent symbols in this story, but the one that stands out to me the most is the idea that humans are used for function. As a male human that scares me, I can't imagine only being a surrogate for a alien. In this story we are used to give birth to this alien race and then we are thrown out after we serve our purpose. The alien implant their worm like babies into the male humans and it is a brutal experience. I think the author wanted us to think about our existence and compare it to the way humans are treated in his story. In the story humans are basically not allowed to be anything more than a function, we are supposed to life our whole life just to be used then thrown out.

2. I connected with this story because it scared me, the fear of being used my whole life then just to be brutally killed to further something else's existence is terrifying. The maggots like worms eating you alive to you can't breathe anymore is disgusting and the thought of having to do that without any consent is scary. As americans we are told we have rights and we are allowed to think on our own and make our own decisions. This story implants a slavery theme to it, were humans aren't allowed to think and their fate has already been decided by another life form that isn't any different than us.

3. This story could easily be turned into a comic or a graphic novel, because how the author writes is so vivid and easy to understand. He explains in detail what is happening in each scene and I think that it could be easily drawn and make it more interesting than the writing. Being able to see the males being eaten apart would be brutal and wouldn't require as many words to explain what is happening. I picture the comic to be red and black. When I was reading the story those were the only colors that I was seeing. Overall,  I think this story could easily be manipulated into a graphic story.

No comments:

Post a Comment