Sunday, November 29, 2015

Literary Speculation

After reading a couple short stories this week Aquatic uncle was the most interesting to me, because of how it was written. I think the stories that were offered for this week were more written narrative then science fiction because they seemed more worried about the story then the context of the story. Most of the science fiction we were reading prior to this week was all about world building and high fantasy. I believe that this week threw all that out the window and just threw us into these worlds like we are supposed to know everything about it. The thing that is helpful at this time is that most people understand science fiction and don't need all the explanation, so most writers can just write and tell stories without the background information. It's like video games now a days, they don't add manuals to the game because people at this point understand video games and how they play. 

Anyways, Aquatic Uncle to say the least is really wild. The whole story is a traditional story about someone loving somebody who they aren't allowed to, but glorified with scientific characteristics. These kind of stories are a lot easier for me to read personally, because I have a hard time understanding all the worlds and clans and different social parties most science fiction stories talk about in their stories. Aquatic Uncle itself was a pretty boring story, the only reason I say that is because I feel like I have read this story so many times with a different context to it. That being said I think the way the science fiction side of the story is introduced. Its very weird and different, but the feeling is still the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment