Sunday, November 29, 2015

The Future of Horror

After this semester we have reviewed lots of genre's within horror and fantasy. Seeing where the genres originated was really interesting because we got to see the progression of both genres. With horror, I feel the way it progresses from the gothic horror to mumblegore is insane. I think the genre is heading back to its roots. My favorite movie from that time period is Alien, I think the way the genre has been shaped is due to the cultural events that were happening during the time the movies were made. The reason I think the genre is going to be headed back to gothic horror is because what is going on in the world. I brought up Alien because when Alien was made there were a lot of comparisons to the Vietnam war. Gothic horror has lots of comparisons to this, gloomy, decaying setting, and supernatural figures. I think the way our culture is headed will be taking us back to these characteristics in horror films. I think there will be a flux in unbeatable horror films were there is no escaping, just like in Alien. 

No comments:

Post a Comment